Since we are the members of the global research community and are directly or
indirectly responsible for improvement in technology thus affecting the quality of life
throughout the world, and in accepting a personal obligation to our profession,
we researchers do hereby commit ourselves to the highest ethical and professional
conduct and agree:
- To accept responsibility in making research related decisions consistent with
the the safety, health and welfare of the public.
- To be Honest and Fair.
- To strive for technical excellence in the engineering profession by maintaining
enhancing our own knowledge and skills.
Not to steal property, time or resources.
- To avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible.
When possible to demonstrate our performance capability with our skills via
projects, leadership, and/or accredited educational programs and will encourage
others to do so as well.
Not to hesitate to seek assistance or guidance when faced with a task beyond
our abilities or experience.
- To embrace other professionals' advice and learn from their experiences and
- To treat this as an opportunity to learn new techniques and approaches. When
the situation arises that our assistance is called upon.
To respond willingly to share our knowledge with others.
- To reject bribery, kickbacks and professional misconduct in all its forms.
- To strive to convey any knowledge (specialist or otherwise) that we have gained
to others so everyone gains the benefit of each other's knowledge.
To improve the understanding of technology, its appropriate application, and
- To seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge
correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others.
- To treat fairly all persons regardless of such factors as race, religion,
disability, age, or national origin.
Admit mistakes and correct them promptly.
Not to injure others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or
Not to use availability and access to information for personal gains through
- To distinguish between advocacy and Science and not to present analysis and
opinion as fact.
- To respect intellectual property and will be careful to give credit for other's
Never to steal or misuse copyrighted, patented material, trade secrets or any
other intangible sset.
- To assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to
support them in following this code of ethics.